Southern Fried Green Tomato BLT SandwichesYUMMLY
Instead of the usual ripe beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes, this Southern-inspired version of BLTs features tangy, unripe green tomatoes coated in crunchy cornmeal with a touch of hot sauce. Make the sandwiches with satisfying, thick-cut bacon and sandwich bread. Then serve them up with a dollop of mayonnaise for an easy lunch or dinner. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Cooks with Soul.
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg (beaten to blend)
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (such as Crystal)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- vegetable oil (for frying, about 4 cups)
- 3 green tomatoes (large, sliced ¼-inch thick to make 15-16 slices)
- 8 slices thick-cut bread (white, sandwich-style)
- mayonnaise (or mustard or other favorite sandwich spread)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and arrange bacon on top in a single layer.
- Bake bacon until browned and crunchy, about 25 minutes, turning slices over halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, pour buttermilk into a shallow dish and stir in beaten egg and hot sauce. Add flour to a second shallow dish or a plate. Add cornmeal and seasonings to another shallow dish or plate and stir to combine.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories750Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes