This colorful and super-tasty recipe relies on short-cut ingredients including cooked rotisserie chicken and canned beans and tomatoes. It’s family-friendly (omit the cayenne if your team is sensitive to spicy food) and ready in 30 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights. Serve the soup with fresh cilantro, crunchy seasoned tortilla strips, cheese, and avocado for a complete meal. Look for the seasoned tortilla strips in your market’s produce section near croutons — or substitute tortilla chips. To quickly prep the cilantro, just swish a bunch in water, roll it in a kitchen towel to dry, and then chop off any tough lower parts of the stems (the tender parts of the stems have great flavor and crunch). The recipe is a Yummly original created by Marrekus and Krysten Wilkes of Cooks with Soul.
- Heat vegetable oil in a to a 5- to 6-quart pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne (if using). Saute until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, black beans, tomatoes, salsa, and lime juice to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook mixture uncovered at a low boil for 7-8 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add chopped cilantro to soup and season soup with pepper and salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, cheese, cilantro sprigs, and avocado for serving.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories300Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.