®/™©2022 Yummly. All rights reserved.Part of the Whirlpool Corp. family of brands
This online merchant is located in the United States at 883 E. San Carlos Ave. San Carlos, CA 94070.
MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which may differ from actual selling prices in your area.
Pecan Crusted Fried Okra
These crunchy coated and absolutely delicious okra bites are made with two ingredients popular in Lowcountry Gullah Geechee cooking, okra and pecans. You can use frozen okra if fresh is not in season, but be sure to let it thaw and dry before you fry it. You’ll need a deep skillet, heavy bottomed pot, or deep fryer; a spider or slotted spoon to scoop out the okra; and a food processor or clean coffee grinder to very finely pulverize the pecans into dust. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Amethyst Ganaway.
- If you are using frozen okra, lay it out flat on a sheet pan lined with paper towels, set a few more paper towels on top, and let it thaw and drain a bit in the refrigerator. If you are using fresh okra, skip this step. Cut the stems off and cut the pods into 1/2-inch slices.
- In a food processor, pulse pecans, 2 tablespoons flour, the cornmeal, salt, pepper, and paprika until it forms a cohesive, fine, dry mix. Set aside in a bowl. In another bowl, beat eggs until well incorporated and then set aside.
- In a deep skillet, heavy bottomed pot, or deep fryer, heat 1 ½-2 inches of oil over medium heat. (If you have a deep-frying thermometer, the oil should heat to about 325°.) Take okra and toss into the dry mix, then the egg mixture, and then in the dry mix again. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour and toss again — your okra should have a wet, sticky batter covering the majority of it (it won’t completely cover).
- When the oil has come to temperature, you should see ripples in the oil forming. (I always do a test with one single piece of okra. Drop it into the pan, and if it immediately bubbles and comes to the surface of the oil, it's ready. If it takes a few seconds, let your oil heat up for another minute or two.) Carefully lower about half the `okra into the oil, a portion at a time using a slotted spoon or spider, ensuring the pieces don't stick together too much. Be sure not to overcrowd your pan; you want the okra to have room to move around with your spoon or spider so that everything fries evenly. Break clumps apart with your spoon, move okra around in the pan frequently, and fry until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Carefully remove okra from oil and transfer to a bowl or plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat with remaining okra.
- Serve immediately, with more salt and pepper to taste.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories270Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.