Mediterranean White Bean and Tuna SaladYUMMLY
This classic Italian salad combines handy canned white beans and tuna for a protein-packed throw-together to serve on a bed of mixed greens at lunch or as a side dish at dinner. Thinly sliced fresh fennel and red bell pepper add juicy crunch. If you’ve never tried anise-flavored fennel, now is the time! But if you can’t find it, you can substitute celery or cucumber. The recipe, which makes 4 cups, is a Yummly original created by Ivy Manning.
- 1/2 cup red onion (thinly sliced, 1/4 small red onion)
- 1/2 fennel bulb (small, with feathery green tops; or use 3/4-1 cup thinly sliced celery or seeded, chopped cucumber)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 can cannellini beans (1 can is 15.5 oz.; drained and rinsed; or white kidney beans)
- 1 can tuna packed in water (preferably sustainably caught; 1 can is 5 oz.; drained and flaked)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove (small, minced)
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt (or table salt, plus more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (plus more to taste)
- lettuce leaves (or spring mix)
- Put red onion in a small bowl of ice water and set aside for 10 minutes to soften its harsh flavor while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Cut off fennel stalks (the top part that looks like celery, if present) from the bulb. Separate feathery green fronds from stalks and chop them finely to make 1-2 Tbsp. Discard remaining fennel stalks and fronds or save for making stock. Cut out the hard V-shaped core from the bottom of the fennel bulb. Slice fennel crosswise about 1/8 inch thick to make about 1 cup.
- Put sliced fennel and chopped fronds in a large serving bowl. Seed and thinly slice red bell pepper and add it to the bowl. Drain onion and add it to the bowl along with beans and tuna.
- Put olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small jar with a lid or in a small bowl and and shake vigorously or whisk to combine. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories200Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes