A whole head of garlic mellows in the oven alongside squash, carrots, and onion in this hearty vegan recipe. Pre-cut butternut squash keeps the soup easy, and canned coconut milk and a buzz in the blender make it nice and creamy. The seasonings are simple, so don’t be shy with the salt and pepper to play up the plant-based ingredients. Top the soup off with roasted pumpkin seeds for the perfect crunchy texture and nutty flavor. Prep tip: To quickly peel the head of garlic, separate the cloves, smash them slightly with the flat side of a knife or the bottom of a cup, and then peel off the skins. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Marrekus and Krysten Wilkes of Cooks with Soul.
- 2 1/2 lb. butternut squash (peeled and pre-cut into chunks)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled, split lengthwise, and cut into chunks)
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled and quartered)
- 1 head garlic (medium, peeled; 10 to 12 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (each about 14 ounces)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (plus more if you'd like a thinner soup)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp. black pepper (plus more to taste)
- roasted pumpkin seeds (salted, for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- If you like, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Place squash, carrots, onion, and garlic in the pan. Drizzle with coconut oil and toss to coat.
- Roast vegetables until tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes, stirring them once halfway through cooking.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes